DIY Shutter Headboard

This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this blog.

Welcome to the second installment of my new guest room (if you missed part 1, it started Friday with my DIY Striped Walls). My goal for the room is for it to have a Caribbean feel and think that shutters are the perfect addition to the room to complement this theme.  So many of the houses in the Caribbean have shutters to protect the windows from storms and hurricanes. I love how they are often painted bright colors as well.

DIY Shutter Headboard

DIY Shutter Headboard

We have a queen bed in the guest room which is 60 inches wide; each shutter is 15 inches wide so using 4 shutters was the perfect width for a queen bed headboard. I bought two sets of exterior louvered shutters – one pair at 55 inches tall and the other at 63 inches.  Ideally, I would have found some used shutters that I could up-cycle; but not many houses in the Seattle area have shutters and I was a bit impatient so I just bought some new ones.

Initially, I had planned on painting each of these shutters by hand; however, after seeing all the nooks and crannies that needed to be covered, I had Brad pull out the paint sprayer instead. In just a few minutes, all 4 shutters had its initial coat! Each side required 2 coats. I used Glidden Paint True Turquoise for the shutters to reminisce with the color of the Caribbean.

DIY Shutter Headboard

I didn’t actually screw them into the wall; but rather have them pinned between the bed and the wall. The bed comes up over half way of each shutter so they won’t be top heavy. Plus the bed weighs a lot more than the headboard so they aren’t going to move the bed.

I think they turned out great! They definitely remind me of the Caribbean. The two different sizes also make it a bit more interesting by giving the headboard a shape other than just a big rectangle.

I’m going to be showing off the entire guest room on Wednesday so make sure to come back and see it all together!

Comments

1. 9

says

Kendra, so nice to find you…was clicking links at Hawthorne & Main’s party and found you!! Love this, and definitely gives it the Carribean feel you’re going for! Heading over to FB to like your page :) Have a great week!! Heather

2. 13

Cydnee Knoth says

I love, love, love this idea! What a cool headboard! Thank you for joining us at #purebloglove. We love having you every Thursday at 8PM, EST through Sunday night. ~Cydnee

3. 14

says

Congratulations! This post is featured over at Diana Rambles today and has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest, Tweeted, and Recommended on G+. Please grab a featured button off my button page or via the post guidelines graphic. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

4. 18

says

I like this look and the color is fantastic! Thank you for coming over and sharing with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday! Pinning and tweeting to share.
    ~Laurie

5. 20

says

Love! Pinned and tweeted! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at our linky party. We hope to see you next Monday @ 7 because we can’t wait to see your new creations! Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

6. 23

says

Great idea! I’ve thinking about an inexpensive headboard for one of my spare bedrooms – I hadn’t thought of shutters. Since I live on a lake, it seems like a perfect fit! Thanks for sharing this with us on Throwback Thursday! Hope to see you next week!

Mollie

7. 27

says

I absolutely love this idea for a headboard and now I want to do this in my guest room! This is such a creative idea and I”m so glad you shared it with us at Share The Wealth Sunday!

8. 30

says

I love this idea. I’ve been searching for a headboard for my guest room for some time. This is perfect, I already have old just waiting to be reused. Thanks for sharing on Sunday’s Best Linkup.

9. 31

says

I wish I would of thought of this prior to the Mr. getting rid of unused shutters. I would do this for my daughter’s room. Such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Shared.