Last year, Brad and I discovered the joys of making our own ice cream. Summer has such a wonderful bounty of fruit and ice cream is one more way to enjoy it. Our favorite fruit to make into ice cream are strawberries and cherries. This past weekend, Brad and I came home with 4 half-flats of strawberries. They were SUPER ripe and needed to be dealt with quickly. After making a batch of jam we moved onto ice cream. (We also did sorbet, but that recipe will be coming later). Since Brad can’t have dairy this entire recipe is dairy free (and DELICIOUS from my pre-dairy point of view).
Dairy Free Strawberry Ice Cream
Makes about 3 quarts
- 4 cups of pureed strawberries
- 2 cans coconut milk (make sure to get ones with high fat content; I've had good luck with Thai Kitchen)
- 2.5 cups hemp milk (I used the unsweetened vanilla one)
- 1 cup honey
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Ice Cream Maker
- Puree the strawberries
- Mix in the solid part of the coconut milk from each can.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour
- Add mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the ice cream maker's directions
- Scoop into freezer-safe container and freeze until solid (generally a couple hours depending on desired consistency)
Last year I made some Strawberry Coconut ice cream; however, it was super sweet (even though it was delicious). I opted to mix in hemp milk with the coconut this year because it has a more neutral flavor than the coconut milk but still has the necessary fat content for a creamy texture. The hemp milk balances the coconut milk well; there is still a hint of coconut flavor but it isn’t overpowering. Note: yes, I do live in Washington but hemp milk is not THAT kind of hemp; it is available nation-wide.