I absolutely LOVE Strawberry-Rhubarb; the sweetness of the strawberries complement the tartness of the rhubarb, and when baked together with some brown sugar and cinnamon, it becomes even better. Brad and I make many crisps throughout the summer, utilizing whichever fruit is in season during that time. They also take minimal work to prepare, which makes them perfect for Friday night indulgence.
- 2 cups rhubarb - chopped
- 2 cups strawberries - chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oats
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons butter - softened
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a 9x9 dish pan, mix together the chopped strawberries and rhubarb.
- Stir in ¼ cup of brown sugar
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup of brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and butter.
- Cover the fruit with the the oat mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the topping has nicely browned
This Strawberry-Rhubarb crisp is best served warm, and even better with a little bit of vanilla ice cream on top. The fruit softens and blends together as it bakes, which creates the perfect accompaniment to the crunchy crisp topping. We have been attempting to grow both rhubarb and strawberries in our garden. So far we have been successful in growing the strawberries, but our rhubarb plants need some more love and attention.