This winter I am going to be baking quite often. Back a couple months ago, Brad and I made cherry pie filling and then earlier this week we made Peach pie filling. Something didn’t work perfectly so the jars don’t look pretty; however, I imagine that it will still taste just fine. I think I just didn’t reduce the liquid enough so the viscosity is off a bit. Here are the directions for making your own Peach Pie Filling.
Ingredients (Yield 1 Quart):
- 3 1/2 cups sliced peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1T Clear Jel
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/8 t cinnamon
- 1/8 t almond extract
- 1/4 cup bottled lemon juice (bottled works better because of the consistant pH level)
- Wash the and skin the peaches
- An easy way to skin peaches is to soak in boiling water for 90 seconds then place into ice water. This allows the skin to simply slide off.
- Add all of the ingredients besides peaches and lemon juice into a pot over medium high heat
- Stir over medium high heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble
- Add lemon juice and stir until thickens
- Combine mixture with peaches
- Scoop into jars, leaving 1″ headspace
- Process in water bath for 30 minutes
- Cool on a rack for 24 hours
Below is the finished product. The filling wasn’t the same consistency throughout so some of the thicker stuff settled to the bottom.
I still have a few more peaches so I’m going to try another batch and hope the filling turns out better. I imagine that this one will still taste fine, just might need a bit of thickener added along with the filling when I bake the pie.