This post is in collaboration with Mullan Road Cellars. All thoughts are my own.
Its winter time which means that dinners are warm, hearty, and paired with delicious wines. I love using the slow cooker during these cold months because we can kick it off before leaving for work and coming home to a delicious and warm dinner. Today’s recipe is a hearty stew which is perfect to pair with Mullan Road Cellars Red Wine Blend.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This beef stew is very easy to make and only uses a few minutes of prep.
- 1 lb Beef Stew Meat
- 8 medium potatoes (mixed red & white) - chopped
- 6 carrots - chopped
- 1 can peas - drained
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 32oz carton beef broth
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- In a slow cooker (with a liner), place the stew meat, potatoes and carrots.
- Whisk together the tomato paste, beef broth, flour, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Stir the sauce into the beer and vegetable mixture
- Cook on low for 10 hours.
- If the broth isn't thickening, stir in more flour 2 Tablespoons at a time.
Brad and I enjoyed this stew with some rolls and also delicious Mullan Road Cellars Red Wine Blend.
Mullan Road Cellars is a Washington wine (yay Washington!). The grapes are grown in the Columbia Valley which is over in Eastern Washington and features flavors of blackberry, plum, black currant, and spices. This wine paired very well with this beef stew and would also pair well with grilled steak or hearty vegetables.
The winemaker for Mullan Road Cellars is also the winemaker for one of my favorite Washington wines; so it was exciting to try another one of his masterpieces.
If you are looking for a delicious red wine to enjoy with your winter meals, I highly recommend Mullan Road Cellars.
What sort of dinners do you enjoy during the winter? Do you have a favorite wine to pair with them?