DIY Kids Play Makeup

This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this blog.

I was cleaning out my makeup drawer the other day and discovered that I had a ton of almost empty containers of expired makeup. Rather than just tossing them out, I figured they could be upcycled into something fun.  My idea was to turn them into kids play makeup. They would have the nice cases like real adult makeup without the actual coloring their face part. What kid wouldn’t love to have “Dior” makeup?!

DIY Kids Play Makeup

DIY Kids Play Makeup I started by cleaning out the remnants of the makeup. The pressed powders came out quite easily by stabbing it with a knife and popping out the chunks into the garbage. I then rinsed the empty containers to get rid of as much makeup dust as possible.

Old Makeup containers Next, I poured some nail polish into the openings. This is the perfect use for dollar store or clearance nail polish; old bottles could also be used for this project. It doesn’t need to be completely filled, just enough to cover the bottom and make it look real. This still took quite a bit and by the end of the project, the pale pink bottle was empty. A couple of them I tried making new colors but my color mixing skills aren’t that great (my blush turned out pretty red).

DIY Kids play makeup This project definitely takes some patience. The nail polish took about 24 hours to dry out.

DIY Kids Play Makeup If you don’t use the brushes provided with the makeup, they can be re-used for play; otherwise, an inexpensive set (like this one) can be bought to provide hours of play.

Do you have some empty makeup containers laying around? How do you re-use them?

Comments

1. 13

says

Fabulous idea!! My littlest one (2) is ALWAYS begging to use my makeup! This will be great to have some for her at the vanity. Thanks for sharing at the Found and Foraged link party. Enjoy your week!

2. 17

Susan says

What a great idea! My girls would have loved playing with this DIY kids make up. Thanks for sharing at the This Is How We Roll Link Party on Organized 31.

3. 18

says

I wear makeup so rarely that I hardly buy new ones or get close to the end. Yet, my daughter is all into my makeup these days. I think this would be a great pretend kit for her! Even though she loves the real thing! LOL

4. 19

Cydnee Knoth says

Cute idea! Every little girls dream. Thank you very much for joining in the celebration of #purebloglove, we enjoy having you each week. I hope to see you on Thursday at 8PM, EST through Sunday night. ~Cydnee

5. 23

says

that is a great idea and a good way to keep kids who want to touch your makeup away from it maybe! would also be a great little accessory for a costume of some kind to fill up an old fashioned purse, or if someone wants to dress up like they work at the makeup counter! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

6. 25

says

This is such a great idea. I personally am not a makeup fan, but it is a right of passage to go through the whole makeup stage at least once in your life.

Thank you for sharing this idea with us on the #HomeMattersParty.