It all started last week when a co-worker brought in some Neapolitan Popcorn. It was delicious and got me to thinking I should make some caramel popcorn. When I told my other co-worker this idea, she proclaimed that I should make Apple Butter Popcorn! I had never heard of it but figured why not try it out. This past weekend I tried it out and it’s delicious! Have some extra Apple Butter laying around? This is a perfect recipe using Apple Butter to try out!
The first thing I did was Google “Apple Butter Popcorn” when no recipes came up I decided to make up my own. Off to Pinterest I went in search of Caramel Popcorn recipes – figuring I could edit them for my own use. Below is what I came up with.
Apple Butter Popcorn
- 3 bags microwave popcorn, I used the Simply Salted variety
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup Apple Butter (if you are adventuresome, try making your own)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- Pop the popcorn and place in large bowl
- Remove un-popped popcorn kernels
- In a sauce pan, mix together the sugar, honey and corn syrup over medium-high heat
- Continue stirring while bringing to a boil
- Let boil for 2 minutes (keep stirring)
- Remove from heat and mix in the apple butter and vanilla extract
- Pour into popped popcorn and stir together
- Spread out on parchment paper lined cookie sheets to cool
This only took me about 15 minutes to make (not counting cooling time)!
The Apple Butter gives this a little bit of tang without being overly sweet. I would definitely make this again. The only issue with this is that it is a bit sticky so I might investigate ways to fix this before my next batch. Have you ever tried making a flavored popcorn? What sort of popcorn did you make?
I think my next experiment is going to be Cookie Butter Popcorn!