This post is in collaboration with wayfair.com. All opinions are my own.
Do you have a go-to cocktail whenever you go out for drinks with friends? I love a good fruity or complicated cocktail; however, I always find myself going back to my standby of rum and coke. If given the option, I specifically like CHERRY rum and coke.
My friends over at wayfair.com thought it would be fun to have some bloggers turn our favorite cocktails into delicious cupcakes. So today I bring you a delicious cherry rum & coke cupcake.
Cherry Rum & Coke Cupcake
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coke
- ½ cup rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup softened butter (1 stick)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup rum
- 1 Tablespoon cherry liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Maraschino cherry for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Beat in the eggs
- Add in the coke, rum and vanilla (mine started looking like it was going to curdle, but it turned out just fine)
- Mix in the dry ingredients
- Fill ¾ of the way and bake 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, rum, cherry liqueur and vanilla.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, add the frosting and garnish with a maraschino cherry
This cupcake reminds me of the classic rum cake that Brad and I fell in love with on our honeymoon. I pulled the cherry flavor into the frosting by using a cherry liqueur; this also gave the frosting a hint of pink color which was a fun touch.
I love how this cupcake has the flavor hints of cherry rum and coke without being an overpowering flavor. The rum in the frosting gives a nice “kick” as you eat it.
I will definitely be making these cupcakes again. They would be fun for a summer BBQ (of course I would also make a kid-friendly version with the rum and liqueur omitted from the frosting).
Drooling yet? I hope you get a chance to enjoy this delicious cupcake as well (and maybe enjoy it with a cherry rum and coke as well). What is your favorite cocktail that you would love to enjoy as a cupcake?