Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza
Brad and I have often made semi-homemade pizza by using Pillsbury pizza dough and adding our own toppings. I’ve been thinking of making my own dough for a while since I heard it was easy and decided to try Tuesday for dinner. Brad and I can never share pizza because we like different toppings and Brad has to use his special diary free cheese. Making homemade pizzas is a perfect solution because we can each top our pizza however we like.
The dough recipe I used was SUPER simple and worked perfectly. The only change I made to it was switching out normal flour with whole wheat flour (partially because I was completely out of normal flour).
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Originally from My Baking Addiction
- 2 3/4 cups Warm Water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Yeast (equivalent to 2 packets)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- Using the dough attachment; mix together the water, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil
- Slowly mix in the flour
- Transfer dough to large bowl and cover (but not airtight) – let raise for 2 hours
- Dough can be used for up to 2 weeks after it has been made.
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Pull off a section of dough and roll to desired thickness – note, the dough will double in thickness when baked.
- Place dough on greased cookie sheet (or pizza specific pan if you have one)
- Bake the dough for 8 minutes
- Remove the dough and top with desired toppings
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes
Here are how Brad and my pizzas turned out. We will definitely be making them again. The dough does take a bit of time to make but it makes a lot at one time so I have plenty more that I can freeze and use again later.
For a little comic relief: this picture was taken last night. I’m pretty sure Pip was upset that he had to share his blanket with Pico and was scared that Pico would try to steal his toy.
Do you make your own pizza? What are your favorite toppings?
Linking up at:
Wonderful Food Wednesday
I love making my own pizza, we usually stick to black olives and pepperoni. :)
Brad would enjoy that pizza :) Generally I add a bunch of veggies and chicken; but I got lazy and didn’t want to chop up peppers so I stuck to standard Hawaiian.
Yum Yum Yum. Can’t wait to make this. BTW….am now following you on bloglovin. Found your blog through the bloglovin blog hop!