This post is in collaboration with Captain Morgan. All opinions are my own.
When I first heard about the Captain Morgan LocoNut rum, my first thought was a Miami Vice. I remember vacationing with Kevin and Renee a few years ago and this was one of their favorite cocktails to enjoy by the pool. I decided that I wanted to do a fun spin on the classic Miami Vice, so I decided to test out my liquid layering capabilities and make a Layered Miami Vice Shot!
The key to a layered shot is understanding the densities of the liquids that you are trying to layer. Less dense liquids can sit on top of the more dense liquids if they are poured carefully. The two will blend a bit when you first start pouring the top liquid; however, once you get a base layer it will start to fill the glass without going into the bottom layer.
- 1 part Captain Morgan LocoNut Rum
- 1 part Strawberry Cocktail Mixer (or if you want to make your own, you can puree some strawberries with lime juice and simple syrup)
- Strawberries for Garnis
- In a shot glass, fill half way with Strawberry Cocktail Mixer
- Hold a spoon over the shot glass with the back pointing up
- Slowly pour the Captain Morgan LocoNut Rum over the spoon and fill the shot glass
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry
The Captain Morgan LocoNut has a strong coconut flavor and smooth texture which works well with the strawberry cocktail mix. Plus it comes in a super cute coconut shaped bottle! Enjoy this shot and be transported to the tropics in a single moment.
Have you ever tried to make a layered shot? What did you make?