A couple days ago Brad had a quick job to go do in Federal Way; I was desperate to get out of the house so I went with him. There was a little grocery store next door so I went to get a couple items. The first thing I saw when I walked in were Organic Strawberries for $1/pound! I knew that this fit perfectly into the Strawberry Kiwi Lemonade Concentrate recipe that I had found.
I bought 6 pounds of strawberries, 10 Kiwis and 9 Lemons. I probably should have investigated more the quantities that I needed for this recipe, I ended up only using 1.5 pounds of strawberries and 5 Kiwis, but I went out and bought a TON more lemons.
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 3 cups chopped kiwis
- 4 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 6 cups sugar
- Wash and chop the strawberries and kiwis
- In a blender, puree the strawberries and kiwis
- Add all the ingredients into a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Stir to dissolve all the sugar
- Do not let this mixture boil
- Heat the mixture to 190 degrees
- Ladle the mixture into jars, leaving ¼" headspace
- Process in water bath for 15 minutes
To use, mix the concentrate with water, tonic water, club soda or whatever your heart desires. The ratio’s of concentrate:liquid its based on personal preference.
I had a bit left over that didn’t fit in all the jars so Brad & I tried it out. I didn’t measure our ratio, but I think it was probably about 1 teaspoon concentrate with 1/2-3/4 cup water. The taste reminded me a lot of the Strawberry Kiwi Snapple. I think that it would be really good with tonic water to give it a bit of bubbles.