DIY Tinted Mason Jars

This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this blog.

Since joining Pinterest, I have constantly seen tinted mason jars and always thought that they would be a fun project to try. I tried it out a couple days ago and they were mostly a success.

DIY Tinted Mason Jar

DIY Tinted Mason Jars

I wanted to try out a few different colors and since I have a huge collection of mason jars for canning I had some to spare. I had both matte and gloss Mod Podge so I decided to try both and see if they had any difference in the results (they didn’t).

Materials:

• Mason Jars (I used Pint but other sizes would work)
  • 1 Tablespoon Mod Podge
  • 1 teaspoon Water
  • 9 drops of food coloring (can mix/match colors, just total 9 drops)
  • Jelly Roll Pan
  • Plastic Knives or Popsicle sticks

Materials for Tinted Mason Jars

Directions:

Mix the water, Mod Podge and food coloring in the jar. I did have to use a small spatula a few times in order to get the white mod podge off the bottom. Move the jar around until the entire thing has been coated then flip upside down and rest it on the plastic knives or Popsicle sticks on the jelly roll pan. I used a jelly roll pan because it has nice sides to corral the excess coloring.

Tinted Mason Jars in Process
Once all of the excess coloring has drained, bake them right-side up at 200 degrees until all of the Mod Podge has baked off. It will be obvious when all of the Mod Podge is gone because the last bit pools at the bottom. I didn’t let all of the excess drain prior to baking so I did have a bit of streaking, but not too bad for my first try. Mine baked for about an hour.

Remove the finished jars and let them cool.

DIY Tinted Mason Jars
All of the different tutorials I read said that they are not waterproof, but I haven’t tested it out.

DIY Tinted Mason Jars
I’m thinking of all sorts of ways I can use these tinted mason jars – put a candle in it and watch the color glow or my favorite idea right now is to be a utensil holder for summer bbq’s. What color would you make?

Comments

1. 17

says

These are adorable! They’d be super cute at a baby shower. I have a toddler so anything glass makes me nervous. I’d love to tint them to match my bathroom and store q-tips, cotton balls, etc in them.

2. 27

says

I don’t know what you’re talking about wit the streaking because they look AWESOME! My husband just brought me home a ton of vintage mason jars from an antique show and I am so totally going to tint them now!

3. 34

lythicia says

Thank you so much for sharing !! I tried it out, and it was perfect, exept that they can’t be put into water :/
    Do you have an idea to make them water proof?

• 35

Kendra says

I’m glad they worked for you! I haven’t tried putting water in mine. If you painted the color on the outside with a foam brush then you could still put water on the inside. That might work :)

• 36

Debbie says

These are so cute! And easy! I just got back from Michaels Crafts and they advised to use a ‘sealer’ which they sell if your glass will get wet, whether inside or outside. I am going to use mine with tea lights and hand in my trees.

• 37

Kendra says

I haven’t tried sealer. I’ll definitely look into it as I’m hoping to use them for a baby shower in a couple weeks.

4. 38

says

I’ve seen these around Pinterest and always wondered how to make them. Thank you for sharing this tutorial – I’d love to try it out!

5. 41

says

Beautiful! They look as if they came that way. :) These would be gorgeous outdoor lights in the summer.

Found you on Lou Lou Girls. Thanks for sharing!

6. 49

says

So cool. The colored ones from Ball are great, but I am not sure how my food would look in a blue (purple this year) tinted jar. I could see making a cool vase or something with these for mother’s day.

found this on Wine’d Down Wednesday

7. 52

says

These are beautiful! I am still looking for a waterproof tinting method, but for now, this seems like a great idea if you don’t need to wash the jar! Thank you for linking up to The Creative Exchange. We will be featuring your project this week!
    xo,
    Laura

8. 53

Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says

I have always wanted to try this! Thanks for sharing at Freedom Fridays – pinned and sharing on Facebook! :)

9. 56

says

Very, very pretty- the whole glass tinting thing is has been a little sketchy in my mind, but I like your results!! I’m so glad you shared it! Thank you so much for linking up at Snickerdoodle Sunday- hope to see you again later this week!

Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

10. 58

says

Thank you so much for attending week 16 of #PureBlogLove and linking your fantastic blog post, I can’t wait to see what you have in store for our next party, Thursday 8 PM EST- Sundays at midnight. Your post has been added to the #PureBlogLove Pinterest board for all to see :) Have a great day!
    Nicole

• 62

Kendra says

I’m not sure, but to be on the safe side, I wouldn’t eat out of them. They are great for holding utensils for parties though.

11. 66

says

I love this idea Kendra and I can’t wait to give it a try!! Thanks so much for linking this up to our Bewitchin’ Projects Block Party this week! You are one of my featured picks this Sunday over at Recreated Designs :) Hugs, Lisa